Who does not enjoy playing online games with friends? We all do! And now, the PS4 and its split-screen mode have made it possible for all of us. Although the functionality of the split screen is currently available for only a few consoles and games, you can still enjoy it with your friends.
You can play few games like Fortnite: Battle Royale Duos and Squads, Save The World, Minecraft, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Warzone, Ark, Fall Guys, etc with the split-screen. But, how do you split the screen while playing on PS4? We’ll answer that for you in a while. But before that, let us understand what exactly is split-screen.
What is Split Screen?
A split screen is an audio-visual output device that supports multiplayer video games. The split-screen mode is available on gaming consoles like PS4 and Xbox.
Split-screen provides players with two equal-size screens. It allows players to traverse different areas in the game without actually being there. The split screen offers players the option to play the same game using the same console.
The period of 2004 to 2009 was considered as the golden era for split-screen gaming. It had become a trend due to available access on PS2, original Xbox, etc. However, it is reviving with the arrival of Patch 10.30. The Patch 10.30 has brought the possibility of playing split-screen games again.
Various popular split-screen games are available on the PS4 and Xbox One. People prefer to play these games with multiple players. Some influencers have even live-streamed it for their audiences.
One of the most popular split-screen games on PS4 is Fortnite. Currently, only the PS4 and Xbox one supports the PC version. Now, let us understand how to use a split-screen with an example of the Fortnite game. You can apply the same steps for your favorite games like Minecraft, Call of Duty, and Fall Guys.
How to Split Screen in Games on PS4?
If you want to play Duos and Squads with your friends, you can now do it with the PS4 split-screen mode. It will allow you to share the screen with them on the same console.
To use the split screen for playing games, you first need to fulfill some prerequisites. First of all, you must have two compatible comptrollers. Secondly, you will also need two Epic game accounts to play on the same PS4 console.
Now, if you fulfill these prerequisites, let us proceed with the steps:
- First of all, you need to connect the second controller to the console.
- Now, log in to your account and enter the battle mode with your selected profile.
- Since the split-screen mode is currently compatible with duos and squad only, it’s time to select one of these. This should take you to the waiting room.
- If you are in the waiting room, you can log in with the second profile. To do this, you are supposed to press and hold the ‘X” button on your comptroller. You can also see the option on the bottom line of your PS4 screen.
- Now, the second player will enter the room. You can also switch the control of the menu screen.
- When both players enter the lobby, the split screen will automatically start when you begin playing.
- That’s it! Now, you are ready to rule the Fortnite and Warzone battleground along with your friend.
Things to remember while Playing using Split Screen Mode
Now that you know how to split-screen, here are some things you need to keep in mind while using it:
- The feature will work well only if you have a good and stable internet connection. Thus, for a better experience, make sure your internet is working well.
- The exit of any one player can turn off the split-screen mode. It will resume only after the second player logs in again following the above steps.
- Some features like the lobby and the sub-menus will not be visible or accessible for the second player. The split screen only works while you are playing the game.
- You cannot share inventory with the split-screen mode.
- The multi-language feature is also not yet functional in the split-screen mode. Both players will be required to use the same language while playing the game.
This is almost all that you need to be careful about while playing Minecraft, Fortnite or Call of Duty on split-screen. Having taken care of all these things, you should be able to play the game without any interruption or difficulty.
How is it different from normal screen games?
We have all been used to playing single-player games with one PS4 console. The split-screen enabled multiplayer games can give you a completely different experience. So, let us see how split-screen mode is different from the normal screen.
- First of all, you could play all the modes on a normal screen. The split-screen mode, however, will allow you to play only duos and squads.
- You could use the whole screen while playing alone on a normal screen. But, the split-screen divides the space into two parts with a ratio of 16.9 for each player. Therefore, people recommend playing on large-size TVs or PCs while using the split-screen mode.
- Using a split screen will reduce your draw distance as the game moves with 30FPS. It can help in optimizing resources for heavy Fortnite, Minecraft and COD games. However, it also becomes difficult to win games with such limitations.
- One of the best things about split-screen games is that you can exchange the roles anytime. Any one of the two can decide when the player jumps from the Bus.
- Also, with a split screen, it becomes necessary that both players be in the same room. If one player dies and goes back to the waiting room, the other player will also move there. Both players should either be in the match or the waiting room.
FAQs Related to Split-Screen Gaming on PS4
How many people can play on split-screen mode?
Split-screen mode is suitable for multiplayer modes. Two or more people can play using split-screen modes.
Which consoles are compatible with the split-screen?
Currently, only PS4 and Xbox one are compatible with the split-screen mode.
Can we use Battle Labs mode with a split screen?
No, battle Lab mode is currently not available for split-screen. You can only play with Duos and Squads for now.
Do we need to subscribe to Playstation Plus to be able to play split-screen games on PS4?
No, you do not need to subscribe to PlayStation Plus. Only having a PlayStation account is enough to be able to play Minecraft, Fortnite, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Warzone, Ark, and Fall Guys on PS4.
Can we play split-screen games with one account?
No, you need to have two or more accounts depending upon the players to play split-screen.
What does the ‘X’ button on the PS4 comptroller do?
The ‘X’ or cross button on your comptroller can be used to affirm a selection. You can use this button to allow a second player to enter the game.
Is it possible to switch the control of the menu screen?
Yes, you can switch the control of the menu screen. However, only one player can access the menu screen at a time.
Can we disconnect a player from the split-screen game?
Yes, you can disconnect a player from the game while using a split screen. However, if you are playing with 2 players and you disconnect one, the split-screen will turn off and the first player will also return to the waiting room. To disconnect a player, you will need to press the L3 button on your comptroller.
How to Exit Co-op?
To exit the co-op, you need to press the square button on your comptroller.
The split-screen feature is new for all of us. It also has some limitations. The mode of split-screen gaming remains in beta only. This means it cannot support LTM or the creative mode.
However, we can expect improvements over time. The mode may also soon become available on other gaming platforms like Switch, Nintendo, etc.