Although we at times you create passwords at your devices, that only protects people accessing your PCs. But, at times, especially when browsing, you might share your PC with others. As a result, they can easily access your vital information and data. Therefore, it is very important to lock your browser with a password protection. The best thing about chrome browser it the ability to lock it with a password.
Why is it important to lock your Chrome with password protection?
Protecting your Chrome browser with a password is important because it stores all your vital and sensitive information. Examples of crucial information in your browser include; cookies, browsing history and saved passwords alongside signed in accounts and sessions among others.
Furthermore, your Chrome browser is directly connected to your Google account. A great risk because your private data and emails can be accessed by anyone who accesses your browser.
How to lock Chrome with password protection?
Here is a step by step guide on how to lock your Chrome with password protection. To secure your Chrome browser history and data, you only need to follow the straightforward steps keenly.
- Start by opening your Google Chrome browser on your device.
- After opening, move your cursor to the utility icon (three dots on the top right, where you customize and control your chrome browser). Click the icon.
- Upon clicking the icon, a drop-down window gets opened below the icon. On the window, move your cursor to the settings.
- Now click the settings. A new page with various sections to set will appear. On top of the page is the people section, which has your profile. Move your cursor on this section, and drop it to manage other people.
- Click the manage other people sub-section. Upon clicking, a new page with your profile will open. At the right-hand side bottom of the page are the “ADD PERSON” and “BROWSE AS GUEST” buttons.
- Move your Cursor to the “ADD PERSON” button and click.
- After you have clicked, a new Google Chrome page will open. Here, you will be creating an account or profile to your preferred person. Add the name of the person and assign an appropriate image from the images available. Now click the “SAVE” button at the bottom of the page.
- Once you have clicked the “SAVE” button, a new Google Chrome page gets opened. To access your Chrome browser, “SIGN IN” using your Gmail ID and password. It is important to note that you will log in with the new account using your details. Thus, once you log in, DO NOT click the “Switch to” button, but instead, click the “OK I GOT IT” button. Reason being, you are yet to finalize the settings.
- After you have signed in successfully, move the cursor to the name assigned on the account and click.
- Upon clicking the name of the account, a drop-down window with your profile alongside other profiles opens. Also, the drop-down window features the “Manage other people” button, as well as the child “Exit and child lock” button.
- Click the “Exit and child lock” button. The action closes the Google Chrome window. Therefore, anyone who wants to browse using your device will have to do it as a guest, if he/she does not have your password. Alternatively, one has to choose the profile to use. As a result, you will have protected your profile, which contains vital information.
Other ways of locking Chrome with password protection.
Chrome Built-in Password Protection Feature
- Open your Google Chrome browser, and key in “Chrome://flags/enable-new-profile-management”
- After searching, click the drop-down menu and move your cursor to the “Enabled” button. Click the button.
- By clicking the button, you will have initiated a change. However, you will have to make the change effective, by clicking the “Relaunch Now” button at the bottom of that screen. Your chrome will restart.
- After your chrome has restarted, move your cursor to the right-hand corner, and click the menu button.
- A drop-down menu opens. Move the cursor to the settings and click the button.
- After clicking the settings, a new tab will open. Move your cursor to the people section and click the “Add Person” button.
- Create the name of the person, choose an appropriate picture for the account and check the box “Control and view sites visited by this person in my Gmail.” By doing so, you will be supervising the person.
- Now click the name of the account created. A drop-down window appears. Move your cursor to the “Exit and child lock” button.
- You have now locked and protected your profile. Anyone without a profile password will browser as a guest.
Chrome Extension to Set a Password
In this method, you will be using a Chrome extension known as LockWP. The LockPW Extension automatically blocks your account, hence completing the skin session of the robot. However, you can use a modified version, where your browser will be requesting for a password where started. Here are the steps of downloading and applying LockPW in your Google Chrome.
- Start by downloading and installing the LockPW extension.
- After installation, a settings window will appear automatically. But, if the window fails to start automatically, you can create the settings manually. From your browser menu, open the settings, followed by security, and finally LockPW settings.
- Then, check the” Enable incognito mode” box in the settings.
- After enabling the incognito mode box, a window with all instructions opens. The window allows you to create a password, limit the login attempts and activate the safe mode among others.